NYC Covering AC Cost Up to $800 – See If You Qualify
Just because funds are low, that doesn’t mean you don’t deserve to be chilling this Summer without having to visit a city “Cooling Center” or a mall for some air conditioning.
The New York City Cooling Assistance benefit program helps eligible households buy and install an air conditioner or fan up to a cost of $800.
Here’s how the program works:
- The Cooling Assistance benefit opened on May 3, 2021.
- Air conditioners are provided on a first-come, first-served basis to eligible applicants.
- Applicants are only eligible for a Cooling Assistance benefit once every five years.
- If eligible, a household can get only one air conditioner or one fan, and the cost can’t go above $800 including installation fees.
- The benefit is not applied to an electric bill or issued as a cash benefit.
Social factors, like poverty, in areas where many Black and Latino New Yorkers live are often more vulnerable to the effects of high heat, with many of the neighborhoods in the South Bronx and Central Brooklyn among the most high-risk in our city.
Heat is the leading extreme weather-related killer in NYC each year with an average of 13 heat-stroke deaths and 450 heat-related emergency room visits, for conditions like heat exhaustion or dehydration, according to city statistics.
If someone you know feels more comfortable getting more information over the phone, they can call 212-331-3126 with questions about Cooling benefit or help from an operator.